Saturday, January 27, 2018

The Hairy Jacket




Having tweaked the fit of Kwik Sew 4191, I thought it might be a good idea to use the pattern again – it was out of the envelope already.  I also had an “inherited” remnant of furry/hairy stuff.  Years ago (when this “inheritance” came to me) I had decided that this would be a jacket.  And a very warm one at that.  Problem was – definitely not enough fabric there for a whole jacket.  Sleeves had to come from somewhere else.  I knew there was a reason I had kept that black sweater coat of my daughter’s from many, many years ago.  She hardly wore it, and it had just felt wrong to give it away – don’t have a clue why.  Given that the hairy fabric was quite heavy, the front closure that made any sense, was a zipper – not at all like the Kwik Sew pattern.  I grafted on the front of the Sewaholic Cordova jacket.  Now everything was in place.  Cut.  Sew.  Fuss and grumble.  Once again I added a lining.  The back side of the hairy fabric is a knit, but not at all the thing that you would want anyone to see.  (It also has absolute zero stretch to it.)  I also needed facings.  Thin fabric – because the hairy stuff is soooo bulky.  Those came from the bits left over from the black quarter circle skirt.

And don’t ask me why, but I decided to just serge around the edges of the facing and then sew them to the lining.  Uuuglyyyy!  That just wouldn’t do.  No.  Ribbon to the rescue.  I hand stitched that on (because by that point there was no way I could get a machine into places where a machine would have to go.)

Attaching the sleeves was a bit of a think.  I did completely undo all the original stitching of the sweater sleeve and cut out “new” sleeves, but for some reason there was a lot of worrying about getting it all to work.  If only I could knit ….   Well, I don’t, (my hands just don’t like knitting, and after a few very painful attempts at scarf knitting, in preparation for learning how to knit sweaters, I consoled myself with the knowledge that I can just sew my sweaters.)  All in all, I’m quite happy with my jacket.  It is very warm, and with the weather being what it is, that’s a very good thing. 

 I’m also pleased with myself that I actually cut and sewed the jacket in a very reasonable amount of time, instead of dragging things out for months on end.  (OK – the thinking about it for years doesn’t count here.)
One very bad picture of me in jacket, just because it seems that this is the only way I can show you that it does actually fit - unlike those mannequin pictures.

Now the problem is I still have a small rectangle of this furry fabric left – a very small rectangle.  Can’t possibly throw it away.  May-be I need an “accessory collar” that I could tie on over a sweater.  Hmmm …

12 comments:

  1. What about a clutch for the left overs??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm in love with your fabric and the jacket is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, nice make! Sometimes we have to think about projects for a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Vicki! And sometimes we think about projects for far, far too long.

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful, Irene. During my recent visit to the Sewing Studio SuperStore, I came across a piece of something similar, but was scared by it! Yours looks a bit like pony hair, one of my favorite leathers for shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Coco. Yes, it does look like pony hair, and it was a bit scary to tackle, but in the end, it wasn't all that difficult.

      Delete
  5. Your jacket looks marvelous. Yeahhhhh for saved sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is perfect for you! I love it, especially with the coordinating sleeves.

    ReplyDelete