Friday, September 15, 2017

Video addiction




First and foremost - thank-you for all the lovely comments about my bag.  I didn't have a chance to reply to each one, but ...  I do appreciate them.  I thought of this as a bag for travel, but since I have no plans for travel in the near future, and I couldn't wait to try out all those wonderful pockets, so the bag is now in daily use.  Each pocket has its purpose.

My latest sewing addiction is watching videos from SilhouettePatterns on YouTube.  (I have to do something while I eat!)  And my favourite content is ideas for variations on one pattern.  Some I like.  Some I don’t like.  Doesn’t matter.  I have bought a few Silhouette Patterns over the years – none of which have yet been so much as taken out of their packages.  That detail aside, Peggy’s enthusiasm makes me want to run to the sewing room and start cutting up patterns and fabric to quickly zip up my version of whatever Peggy just made.  Usually this doesn’t happen, because there’s already a project underway in the sewing room which really does need to be completed before anything new hits the cutting table.  Nevertheless, a few items have been influenced by Peggy.

Late winter/early spring I came across some very fine weight wool (and something) knit.  First came the “normal” tops – one colour – one pattern. 

And then there were all these scraps that were just too big to throw away, too precious to turn into swiffer rags.  Some slicing and dicing of my knit tunic pattern resulted in a two-colour tunic.

More recently Peggy added a flounce to a top.  Well, I needed one too!  Hers had a kangaroo pocket.  Mine doesn’t. I also acquired some folded elastic, and again, à la Peggy I sewed it down flat along the centre and used the same elastic to wrap around the neck edge.  The edge of the flounce is just a narrow hem on the serger using woolly nylon thread.   (Elastic would have been too bulky here, I think.)

I may dream of lovely embroideries and old-fashioned details to add some interest to my clothes, but sometimes an easy detail – like using two fabrics together or adding a simple flounce is all that’s needed to take a t-shirt from dull to a little bit more interesting.

5 comments:

  1. Very elegant knit tops. Thanks for posting, I'm always looking for inspiration. Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tops are BEAUTIFUL! Can you tell I'm a top lover? I am an avid watcher of Peggy's videos too.

    ReplyDelete