At the beginning of this month I finally got around to trying out the Belcarra blouse by Sewaholic. (It’s been lying around the sewing room for far too many months.) Not exactly a winter make, so it stands to reason that it should have waited till summer. Let’s call both of these muslins. Initially I cut the size 2, which has been the size that seems to have been working for me almost perfectly in the Sewaholic Patterns. It’s supposed to be a loose fit, but … just exactly how loose?
That would be the bluish one … with a pocket even. That pocket sort of gets lost on this fabric, and perched there on the upper chest – I’m not quite sure what its purpose would be. Well, one set of keepers to make sure that this wide neckline won’t go anywhere, and I have a top for around the house. This was such a quick make, that I decided since the pattern was out anyway, I might as well make another, this time cutting the size 0.Still probably much looser than I’d thought it should be, however it is a woven t, and it is comfortable, and it’s perfect for hot weather around here, when it also becomes extremely muggy. And … the keepers keep the neckline in place.
Without those little gizmos, this top would certainly be sliding off my shoulders. (Not a look that I aspire to.) I might still fiddle around with the fit at the hip on the next round at some point in the future. Fabrics – who knows. They were “inherited” pieces that are now much more useful as tops than they were when they languished in stash. As I was finishing the black top I started getting ideas of lengthening this one into a loose dress. Perhaps belted it wouldn’t be bad as a “house dress”. And I have yet to try the version with pin tucks on the sleeves … Enough! I do tend to get carried away with variations on the same theme. For now I’ve folded this pattern back into its envelope and put it back in the drawer. There are too many other patterns that need a chance to be used this summer.