Tuesday, August 16, 2011

M5433

Finally I make the shirt that caught my eye in the first place on this pattern envelope!  Pattern bought - several years ago.  Made a white shirt (short, to tuck in) last fall.  Recently (cleaning up strange piles of stuff that grow in various corners) I came across pages torn from a magazine from several years back - with this very pattern, View D circled in marker.  Oh well - it's done now.  In eyelet, no less!  Mine is beige, not white.  I even managed to style it!  (I'm having fun with this modeling assistant.)  Even managed a pair of leggings (capri length) out of the leftovers from the previous dress.  Love the leggings!  I used an old pattern that I had, Kwik Sew 2303, which is no longer in print.  I didn't even realize that I had a pattern for leggings.  With all the leggings showing up on other blogs I went digging in the pattern drawers, and there it was - never even used.  Leggings are so very comfortable.  I was afraid of looking "wrong for my age", aka indecent, but with this length of tunic/shirt I think it works.  The ultimate test - mother walked through the door, noticed the new outfit and pronounced it "decent enough".  Guess I can venture out into the streets in this get-up.  I only had one slight problem with the shirt.  The 3/4 (bracelet?) length sleeves look fine.  They look particularly fine with bracelets.  Unfortunately, they are rather tight, and unless all I plan to do is sit around and look pretty, that makes the whole shirt uncomfortable.  Solution was to roll the sleeves up for normal daily activity, but to accomplish that there can be no arms in the sleeves at the time of this operation.  So - I'll have to keep in mind what the planned activities of the day will be when wearing this shirt and remember to roll sleeves up before getting dressed when actually planning to get any work done on the given day.
And - that's not all!  After the DKNY dress and the leggings there was still some of that brown fabric left - just enough to make this t-shirt.
Again, another OOP Kwik Sew pattern (3120) that I had.  I just wanted to try out this raglan sleeve t-shirt.  And that's the end of that brown fabric.  All the rest of the scraps were cut into Swiffer cloths.  Guess that's what's called "good to the last drop".

 One last reminder - tomorrow is the last day to leave a comment for the giveaway.  On Thursday morning I will make the draw - don't promise to figure out that random generator thingy, but I think that the highly scientific method of putting all the names in a "hat" works pretty well.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy. The shirt is lovely, and beautifully styled! I'm not a huge fan of leggings (on me) so never pay them much attention but have noticed may appearing in blogland too.
    The brown t-shirt is a great sucess too, I like the raglan sleeve and I love the fact you've used everything "to the last drop".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been productive, and I'm a huge fan of using every last scrap too... Leggings have their place, I love them under a dress or skirt, and are wonderful under a short dress/skirt, adding more decency somehow. And they are great for if you wish to wear the aforementioned dress/skirt during winter because they add so much warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had good success with this pattern too. Love the eyelet cotton version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that pattern, though I don't think I've made it up yet. It was a popular one. Your shirt looks great, especially with leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is stunning eyelet fabric - love the daisies. YOu do have the figure for leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your shirt - that long, lean look is very elegant and perfect for pairing with leggings. Your brown fabric has served you well - the t-shirt is beautiful! I totally identitfied with your remark about strange stuff growing in various corners - sewing stuff can accumulate at an alarming rate!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the eyelet shirt! You put together a great outfit together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely tops and like the use of the eyelet for that McCalls pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this outfit! So casually elegant. I must get on with making a long shirt style tunic as well. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both your shirts are great! I may have to look at that Tshirt pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Irene, Ilove the shirt! i have made this same pattern and i think it is absolutely appropriate enough for women our age to wear with leggings. It's a great classic casual look. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that pattern, it's a Palmer Pletsch, great job!!

    ReplyDelete