Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Water bottle holder

Why is it that life just doesn't happen according to plan?  Sewing is happening, but not quite as quickly as I'd wished.  Grey skirt and blouse are done, but the blouse needed a run through the wash, so pictures haven't happened yet.
I needed a birthday gift for a newly-minted teenager.  I was out of ideas that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  Then I spotted some stainless steel water bottles in the store.  Everybody seems to be carrying them.  Problem is - they're quite inconvenient to tote around.  Light bulb went on - sewing needed to be done.  I pulled some scraps out, quilted a rectangle, sewed up a seam, bound the top, boxed off the bottom, added a strap.  Pretty straight forward, but as always, these things end up taking far longer than you think they will.  With such hurry-up-and-get-it-done projects, I don't make notes, and I'm now thinking of making another holder, which means having to start from scratch with measurements.  Oh, I do wish I'd think ahead about these things!

7 comments:

  1. A practical as well as beautiful gift! This is a great idea... that I will file away to steal sometime, hehe...Thank you for the inspiration!
    Do you wash your clothes after making them/before wearing them? I must admit, I always wash the fabric before any cutting out to preshrink, but then I will just wear it once it is sewn up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! This would make a nice gift for a sporty friend too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely idea, very practical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! that a good idea! I carry a water bottle everywhere I go, so that would be a nice solution to not take it in hand or in my bag with the risk of staining everything you carry in it. I am sure that your teen will be impressed by the wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect gift idea. And you made this one up in some fun colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that it's a great gift idea for many different people. And, yes, those spontaneous projects somehow turn out to always take more time than I had imagined.

    ReplyDelete